Friday, August 23, 2013

How Many More?

I hear of yet another sexual assault in India; this time at 6 pm in Bombay, supposedly one of the only couple of places that was considered to be completely safe for women in the country. There's anger, there's shame, and there's a painful quest for remedies to correct this disturbing rise in such cases across the country.

**********

Each time I interact with people from other countries, the foremost thought that comes to my mind: Which of these is the other person thinking (and their eyes more or less say it)? 

Because I am an Indian woman:
1)      How many times I have got raped in my own country.
2)      How many of those were gang rapes.
3)      How often I have been molested after stepping outside of home.
4)      If I do step out alone, at all, that is.
5)      Did my parents think of killing me before I was born?
6)      How poorly am I used to being treated, in general.
7)      Do I have the freedom to think, decide and act on my free will?
8)      Do I even know what free will means?
9)      Feel sorry for me. And am I not glad to be away from that uncivilized place?
10)   My sheer audacity to even think of discussing misogyny in the rest of the world!


The brutal truth behind, and the myopic dangers of stereotyping and getting stereotyped.  






No comments: